Feeling more sluggish after eating junk food and drinking in excess over this 4th of July weekend? Well, let’s start an easy 7 day detox! This detox will help you rid yourself of those nasty toxins in your body that you so willingly placed in there over the holiday weekend. With wedding and swim suit season in full swing, it’s time to shed those pounds and exude the confidence that’s already inside of you!
What is Detoxification?
Detoxification is a process of cleansing organs that process toxins for elimination; such as the liver, kidneys, intestines, lymph and skin.
If you’ve detoxed before or not, it’s important to prepare your mind and body before a detox to be more successful in the end.
- Start by decreasing the amount of coffee you consume for two days prior to your detox.
- Buy food and beverages you can include in your detox one day prior to your detox.
- Set an intention in your mind of what you want to accomplish during your detox.
Foods to Include
- Fruits (fresh or frozen of any kind)
- Vegetables (dark leafy greens, broccoli, carrots, onions)
- Grains (quinoa, rice, oats)
- Beans and Legumes (black beens, chickpeas, kidney beans, lima beans)
- Nuts and Seeds (unsalted almonds, cashews, pecan, flax seeds)
- Beverages (coconut water, lemon water, green tea, white tea, herbal tea)
Foods to Exclude
- Dairy products (milk, yogurt, cottage cheese, ice cream)
- Wheat and Gluten foods (pasta, breads, crackers)
- Sugar and Sweeteners (refined sugar, brown sugar, artificial sweeteners)
- Beverages (alcohol, coffee, energy drinks, soft drinks)
- Drink at least 10 glasses of water
- Eat 5 times a day
- Be mindful of your stress
- Do light exercise (walking, running, yoga)
Length of Detoxes
- 3 Day
- 7 Day
- 10 Day
- 14 Day
I’ve chosen the 7 day detox for myself because I feel it’s a long enough time for me to experience a difference in the way my body feels. It also will end the day before I leave for Grand Forks for one of my best friend’s wedding! No one wants to be on a detox during a wedding, let’s just be honest here.
For me, this detox also is a result of de-cluttering and rearranging my apartment. I created a new energy within my living space and I want to bring that same sort of process and experience into my physical body. I’m in a season where I’m getting rid of the old, bad and ugly to be able to welcome in the new, good and beautiful.